Save Dudley Hippodrome Campaign!
The Dudley Hippodrome, was built as a ‘twice nightly’ theatre in 1938. Next door to the Plaza and opposite the Odeon Cinema, it replaced the Opera House, destroyed by fire in 1936, on the same site. Externally, like a super cinema of the time, in buff brick. At the centre, above the canopy, there were originally glazed, now blind, panels between the brick end bays, divided by two tall brick mullions. Above this, a deep brick attic is divided by five horizontal bands.
The name HIPPODROME, in a central panel, has been removed. Plain flank. Fly tower. Small foyer. The fan-shaped auditorium has not been destructively altered for bingo use. Stalls rake rises to a rear terrace. Single, steeply raked, deep balcony. Square proscenium with moulded architrave. Ceiling and walls, with simple moulded ornament. Major adaptations have been made within the stage house. The building is well maintained and the interior still has a theatrical ‘feel’. It would be possible to return it to live use, but it would be necessary to remove the structural steelwork inserted in the fly tower. The stage is quite shallow, but there is open land at the rear.
The aim of Dudley Hippodrome Community Group is to preserve & protect the Hippodrome from the destruction of demolition, ensuring its full potential of a Community Hub for the Performing Arts & Music.
If you would like to help us save Dudley Hippodrome, then please sign our petition: